December 3, 2008

savory carrot muffins

In preparation for this month's "Go ahead honey, it's gluten free!" I wanted to make an SCD version of Mom's carrot cake. Actually, Heather just adopted me and made the original recipe for her family's Thanksgiving dessert. I am just tickled pink!

In my experimentation I have not yet acheived the elusive carrot cake, but I did manage to make some really good savory muffins. I loved them from the first little pick I took when they came out of the oven but the Trainer needed more convincing. He tried these twice and turned up his nose. Then, Sunday morning he asked for a piece of one and decided that they really were good, just not what he was expecting the first few times he tried them.

I've been having these for breakfast, pan toasted with a little sliver of cheddar cheese melted on top. The sharp cheddar really compliments the carrot undertones. They'd also be great with cream cheese, farmer cheese or home made yogurt cheese.

Savory Carrot Muffins
makes 12 muffins
9 oz (3 cups) blanched almond meal
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
6 oz (1 1/2 cup) grated carrot
8 oz apple sauce
1 tsp cider vinegar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare a muffin pan with liners. In one bowl mix the almond meal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a second bowl, mix carrot, apple sauce and vinegar. Add dry ingredients and then stir in pecans. Evenly fill 12 muffin cups and bake for 30-40 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The carrot cake was really good! I haven't made any muffins in a while.. I really love lemon poppyseed muffins, maybe I can figure out a really great recipe for them.

Anonymous said...

I followed the recipe the first time I made these muffins and they turned out incredibly salty. The second time I made them I omitted the salt and they were wonderful!

~M said...

I dislike nuts in muffins...what are your thoughts on subbing raisins instead, for just a burst of sweetness? Thanks!