November 16, 2008

besos de novia (golden blossom marshmallows)

Yesterday the Trainer had four clients and headed of early, fortified with a breakfast of apple pancakes (a first run). I packed myself up and went to visit S. She's got a great kitchen full of gadgets that I have no room for AND a washer and drier in her apartment. In New York this is the height of luxury.

Though we're still new friends, S and I clicked the moment we met and I adore her. We both are dealing with celiac disease and are following the SCD. She is such a wealth of knowledge and I soak it up like a sponge whenever we're together.

I wanted to make Kendall Conrad's cashew bread and the recipe is huge and makes three loaves of bread. I only have one loaf pan so I thought I could do it there. Can't complain about the company either.

I also wanted to try making SCD marshmallows and if anyone had any suggestions I knew S would. We were both a little blitzed, or we might have realized that trying to whip eggs to hard peaks on a rainy day isn't the easiest thing, but we persevered and ended up with some very tasty little treats to show for it.

I found the original recipe posted to SCDrecipe by Maria and we modified it using the tools and knowledge that S possesses.

When I gave one to the Trainer's mother she thought they were great. "Rico sta!" she dubbed them. In Ecuador marshmallows are called besos de novia, or bride's kisses. Sweet and romantic, don't you think?

This is my first ever attempt at making marshmallows, or even candy for that matter, and without S it never would have worked, but it's really not as scary as it sounds. I will continue to tweak this to create a more precise recipe, but I've decided to post it for those who are hankering for an SCD marshmallow. (If you really don't think you can face it, let me know and we'll see what can be done)

Golden Blossom Marshmallows
2 envelopes or 5 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup water
3 egg whites or 6tbsp egg whites (1 egg white if you're using a hand mixer)
Almond flour or toasted coconut for dusting

Soften the gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water. In a 3 quart sauce pan (we used non-stick) combine the honey and 1/3 cup water. Cook on low heat until the mixture reaches soft ball stage, 260. If you don't have a candy thermometer, soft ball stage is when they honey forms a distinct ball when dropped in a cup of water. The mixture will foam up, this is to be expected.

Remove pot from heat and skim of the bubbles and film on top. Stir in the gelatin until it dissolved. Let cool for 10 or 15 minutes.

Wipe the bowl of a stand mixer with cider vinegar and whip the egg whites to stiff peaks. Skim off the stiffest whites, about half the volume, and discard the wetter eggs.

Continue beating at high speed and pour in the syrup in a steady stream. Beat until the candy stands in soft peaks.

Prepare a 9x13 pan with parchment well dusted with almond meal or toasted coconut. Carefully pour into the pan. With a slightly wet spatula or spoon back smooth the marshmallow evenly around the pan.

Let stand overnight.

When the marshmallows are set, cut them into pieces. Dust all edges in almond flour or coconut.


Sent from my iPhone

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful Vittoria! I would love to try them if I wasn't allergic to eggs. You know, I have heard of people overcoming their allergies (even as adults) through homeopathics and the such.

Gluten free Kay said...

Wow! Totally legal ingredients for me! I haven't had a marshmallow in nearly a year, and these look really sweet and puffy. Thanks!

Vittoria said...

Heather- S has made an egg free version, maybe she'll let me post it.

Kay- These are great! I'm a sucker for marshmallows and I practically licked the bowl clean when we were done.

Gluten Free Steve said...

Holy marshmallow! I've always wanted to try making homemade marshmallows.