November 15, 2008

blueberries and cream

One of my coworkers most vividly resembles a brick wall, both in appearance and attitude. Just conversing with her is difficult. Trying to achieve some sort of understanding can be painfully frustrating. I drink an awful lot of tea at work because of this woman.

After one especially exhausting encounter I found myself craving whipped cream. Now, I try very hard not use food as a source of comfort, hence the tea, but this one just wouldn't go away.

Most folks can stop at the corner and pick up a can of Reddi-wip but when you're sugar and lactose free as well, things are not so simple. I did a little research and lots of thinking, and then got foiled at the grocery store.

I took home a quart of goats milk, which wanted to try culturing in any case, rather than the heavy cream I was hoping to find. I had to culture the goats milk for yogurt before I could try anything. By the time that was done I still had the craving so forged on with my experiment.

The result was not whipped cream, just slightly tangy sweat cream, which was still very good and satisfied the sweet-creamy craving just fine. When I put it over frozen blueberries one night it froze, like rootbeer in a float, and it was an absolutely delicious sweet ending.

I'm sure this would work with any creamy, full fat plain yogurt if you are inclined to try it.


Sweet Cream Goats Milk Yogurt
1 tsp cold water
1/2 tsp gelatin
2 cups whole goats milk yogurt
2oz honey
Put the water in a small cup and sprinkle the gelatin over it.

In a saucepan heat yogurt and honey over medium heat, stirring until honey dissolves. Stir in gelatin, pour into a heatproof container and chill.

No comments: