November 6, 2008

spiced plum preserves

Thursday is fruit day. Well, really it's pay day. Every Thursday after work I deposit my check and get some cash and head to 46th street to get a money order. On my way back to 5th avenue I always visit my friend with the fruit cart.

His fruit is generally better than the other local fruit guys, and he always gives me a good deal. Whatever he has that looks like a good deal, that's what I get and prepare on the weekend.

And so, with fresh-minted money burning a hole in my pocket, I found myself with toting home a half dozen plums to make into preserves to have with my yogurt.

Spiced Plum Preserves
2 Lbs plums
2tsp cinnamon
2tsp orange zest
1/2tsp cardamom
1/8tsp cloves
1tsp vanilla extract
Water
Honey
Wash and dice plums. Place plums in a small saucepan with enough water to cover the bottom. Cook on low heat, stirring frequently, until plums are warmed through. Add spices and continue to simmer until plums break down to desired consistency. Taste mixture and add honey if it is needed. Cool and place in a glass jar or airtight plastic container. Store in the refrigerator.

No comments: